Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ibanez, and new job

After a well spent 3 month summer in India, I'm back to the summer in Atlanta. And Atlanta's summer is a lot worse than India's summer. Some say its because the sun rays have wayy more UV in this part of the world, some say because its not humid at all, I say I don't care, but I hate it.

This semester I'll be living in an on-campus apartment with 5 of my very good friends. I was the first to move in (for reasons you'll learn later in the post) and I completely love the apartment. Its huge, and its beautiful. It took me about a day to unpack, but fortunately I'm done now.

One of the first things I did when I got Internet connectivity was ordering my guitar. After a lot of mind debate between the Epiphone Les Paul and Ibanez IJX121, I finally decided to go for the Japanese monster. Here's a pic for you guys to feel jealous. It should be here tomorrow.



In other news, I started with my new on-campus job. I'm working now as an RTA (ResNet Technology Advisor), and basically my job is to assist people with all their Internet, Cable and Telephone problems. Today was my first day of work and I really enjoyed myself. Since the freshman batch of people have started moving in, we were helping out the freshman get logged on to the GTech network. I must have said "Hi! I'm from ResNet, do you need any help in setting up your internet?" atleast 400 times today, and my knuckles hurt due to excessive knocking on people's door.

One really awesome assignment I worked on was making a switch from the old Cisco switches to the new swanky HP ones. Georgia Tech has recently upgraded its network connection from 100mbps to 1gbps. In order to perform the change, we got access to the data closets of the resident halls, which were the most imposing rooms I've seen in my life. I tried searching for a pic on the internet, and the closest I got was this :


I don't think I had seen these many wires collectively in my whole life. It was a really great learning experience for me to actually go into the room which provided the internet for the whole building.

My job goes on till Sunday, from 8am to 6pm. But I'm not complaining, I'm getting to learn a lot of cool stuff, meeting some really smart people, and earning some good money.

Monday will see my classes start. I'll talk about my classes and schedule for the semester in the next post. Till then, do whatever you want.


Tiredly,
Dhruv

1 comment:

Rohit said...

Hey, mail me your number!