Sunday, August 12, 2007

Simpsons, Gandhi, Simpsons, Simpsons, Chak De India, PHEW!

Yea, you're not a genius to figure out I saw the movies.

So, I saw Simpsons, Gandhi, Simpsons, Simpsons, Chak De India in that order. Here's a brief review of all of them :


Simpsons - 2 words. Go watch it. Ok 3 words.

Its mind-bogglingly awesome, for both a hardcore simpsons fan, and even for the unfortunate newbies. Simpsons fans would have realised that there were quite a few repeated gags, but, frankly speaking, I wouldn't mind watching them over and over again.

My favorite line by Homer - "Why does everything I whip leave me?". Pure Simpsons.


Gandhi, My Father - It was an interesting watch, brought out a side of the nation's daddy not many of us are aware about. I love movies which show two sides in a balanced manner and leave it for audience to take their stance themselves, and this did just that. Akshaye Khanna acted pretty well, way beyond my expectations.

The movie was a pretty slow, though. My mind wandered quite a lot, like thinking about what decides the shapes of clouds during the movie, but well, my mind, just like Homer's, wanders easily.


Chak De India - Again, a very good watch. I actually thought that Shahrukh Khan played the role flawlessly, hell, I even thought he wouldn't cry, till the last few frames. Thats still pretty good looking at his average.

The whole movie was pretty realistic, no crappy bollywood drama. I felt it tackled a lot of important issues :

1) Feminism
2) Racism - The whole North East and the Telugu/Tamil scenes
3) Cricket overshadowing all other sports
4) Corruption at the Sport Authorities
5) Language barriers in sport teams
6) Independence of a married woman
7) Stereotypes against Muslims in Indian teams
8) Levels players stoop to for personal gains
9) Treatment of new players by experienced players

If you like sports, or/and India, or neither, go watch it.



In other news, I have been following the test match again, and guess what, we're winning again! Coincidence? I think not.

In other important news, I slept for only 7 hours last night.

In other unimportant news, I leave for US in a few hours.



Au revoir,
Dhruv

No comments: