Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ramblin' Wreck

Ramblin' Wreck is Georgia Tech's fight song, and is played every time the Yellow Jackets score in a Football game and frequently during time-outs in Basketball games. I absolutely love this song and it gives me a great sense of pride whenever I listen to/sing it.

To make a few things clear, our official colors are White and Gold, and our main rivals are University of Georgia (called UGA, or Georgia, or Bull Dogs). 'To Hell With Georgia' is one of our most famous slogans, and no, it doesn't mean that we hate our state.

Here are the lyrics:

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech, and a hell of an Engineer
A Helluva, Helluva, Helluva, Helluva, Helluva Engineer
Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear.
I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an Engineer

Oh, if I had a daughter, sir,
I'd dress her in white and gold,
And put her on the campus
To cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir,
I'll tell you what he'd do--
He'd yell: 'TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!'
Like his daddy used to do.

Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum,
and Sugar three thousand pounds
A college bell to put it in,
And a clapper to stir it round.
I'd drink to all the good fellows,
who come from far and near.
I'm a Ramblin', Gamblin', HELL OF AN ENGINEER!

Over the years, the line 'To cheer the brave and bold' has been replaced by 'To increase the ratio' by frustrated students like me :)

At the conclusion of the song there is a call of 'Go Jackets!' responded to with 'Bust their ass!'. Following 3 of these calls and responses, the song is ended with a call of 'Go Jackets! Fight!'. Recently, however, the student body has yelled 'Fight! Win! Drink! Get Naked!'. A Georgia Tech football game is the only place where 40,000 people yelling 'Fight! Win! Drink! Get Naked!' doesn't seem odd at all.

Signing off,
Dhruv

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Er, no MP3 download to listen to?

Dhruv said...

Well you can find it on Wikipedia, but one guy singing it doesn't have the same effect as 50,000 thousand students singing when we score a touchdown :)